Loyola High School Burns Library
Loyola High School
Killefer Flammang Architects
Loyola High School was established in 1865 and became an all-male, Catholic, four-year college preparatory school conducted by the Society of Jesuits in 1911. Located in central Los Angeles, the school has an enrollment of over 1200 students, drawing from a diverse local community. Offering a full school curriculum and extensive extra-curricular activities, the campus includes classrooms, a variety of sports facilities, art studios and the fully renovated 6,500 square footBurns Library. Howard Building Corporation worked with Killefer Flammang Architects on this renovation project.
To accommodate the school’s annual calendar, work on the Library occurred over the summer break, requiring an accelerated construction schedule. A new exterior storefront entry, including motorized sliding doors, and new clerestory windows were installed to allow more sunlight into the space. Millwork was updated with a custom-designed, circular wood and stone circulation desk, millwork-clad book stacks and student hoteling stations. New study and meeting rooms with storefront glass include new A/V equipment, and student seating throughout encourages group interaction as well as private study opportunities. Custom acoustical ceiling tile, LED light fixtures and new finishes throughout create visual interest in the space and provide an efficient source of lighting. Fire protection expansion and ADA restroom upgrades were also included in the project.